Universitity of Peradeniya bears the mark of Excellency and known for the scenic beauty of the location where it is constructed. The university was previously known as University of Ceylon. It has been built in 1942. The university is situated nearly 8 from Kandy town. Main entrance to the university is via Galaha junction. At present the university is consisted of 9 faculties with the recently added faculty of Management. Those faculties include faculty of Agriculture, Allied Science, Arts, Dental, Engineering, Management, Medicine, Science and Veterinary. The university also offers post graduate degrees in Agriculture, Science and Humanities and Social Sciences at the relevant institutions.
The university spans for 700 hectares, and is located in the Valley of Mahaweli River. Hanthana Mountain range is clearly visible to the university premises. Ediriweera Sarachchandra Open Air theatre is another symbol that marks the identity of the university. In addition the library of university of Peradeniya is considered one of the oldest and largest academic libraries in Sri Lanka. Nearly 11,000 students who come from all the corners of the island continue their studies in the university and residential facilities are also being offered to them.