In front of the Town hall building and next to the National museum of Colombo, the oldest park Viharamahadevi is located. Within the busy roads of Cinnamon gardens, Colombo 7 the tranquil urban park is situated.
The Park was built on a donated land during the British reign and the park was named as Victoria Park. After 1958 the park was renamed as Viharamahadevi Park in order to honour the Queen Viharamahadevi, mother of the great King Dutugemunu. Sri Lanka’s large scale public park, Viharamahadevi was maintained by Colombo Municipal Council. The Park itself contain a large seated Buddha statue, water fountains, playing area for children and a mini zoo. The park is venue for man public concerts and programmes.
The Viharamahadevi is filled with many visitors during the spring season of the Island. The park is so greeny and filled with peaceful surrounding for relaxation.