The Jaffna fort is located in the busy part of Jaffna and at a distance of 5minutes walk from the famous Jaffna Library. This second largest fort of the Island was built by Portuguese and then developed by Dutch.
The pentagonal shaped castle is covered by moat in a star shape and initially built in 1600’s under the supervision of Philip De Olivera. Jaffna fort declared as large military castle because of its geometrical shape and physical structures developed for high defence. Portuguese, Dutch, British, Sri Lankan army and their opposition party used the fort as military administrative building during the battles. Governor's residence, Queen's House, the church of Our Lady of Miracles and the veranda are the evidence for the architectural works that prevailed that time. Many of the buildings severely damaged in the civilian war and now renovated with the help of Dutch fund.
The Jaffna fort, valuable heritage site of the nation is now available for local and foreign tourists to revise the centuries back.